Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Role of Distraction


10/17/2013

The role of distraction. See, life is hard and sometimes we just can't take it. In all cases, distraction is designed to allow you to take it, just long enough for life to squeeze that last bit of happiness out of you. I realized the other day that the reason I have to be reminded again and again to be still is because, right now, it's the very last thing I want to do. I know I can't take it. You should see me frantically seeking something to get into!


So I get it. Distraction is a trap, like alcohol, because while it allows you to take it a little longer, and make things seem better than they are, it steals from you more than it gives, in particular the capacity to reengage your authentic self and significant others. Those extra moments of not falling apart don't belong to you, and most of them won't leave any lasting impression, let alone be nurturing in any way. The overall effects are regret and disgust. That must be what many people feel on their death beds. Because I know they get a new-found appreciation for the importance of the opportunity in life. I've seen it a few times. Fortunately, I've also seen the regret and disgust  succumb to resignation, eventually, on the way to peace. Distraction, temptation, inertia and

No comments:

Post a Comment